Friday, March 6, 2009

daredevil

Alex is secretly a very daring guy. This past month now he's been running an experiment we call 'Does Oma REALLY love me?' In the Reese house, when it came to the flu Dad was in charge of clean up. Mom would run for the hills. Alex has been putting her resolve to the test.

Katie's birthday sleepover turned into 'Alex has the flu at Oma's house.' When I talked to mom first thing in the morning she said 'Alex seems to have a touch of the flu. He probably won't be making it to the Children's Museum.' She assured me that they were OK, and that I could take my time getting up there to pick the kids up. Five minutes later 'Mt. Vesuvius has erupted. GET UP HERE QUICK!' You can ask Roger for the translation of 'I'll be there in a second.'

Last Saturday was even better, however. Oma and Opa joined us for an adventure checking out 'houses on wheels.' Although this past year was a banner year as far as losing astronomical amounts of money goes, we would still like to get an RV sooner than later for family trips. We think we'd actually see our relatives more if we had a place out of their hair we could stay. And since Roger can work remotely, we figure we can just cruise around and park it somewhere for a week or so and have a grand time while he 'works.' But I digress.

Approximately 1 minute before the waitress brought our food at lunch, Alex launched another phase of his experiment all over Oma. If I had had more presence of mind I would have taken a picture. She was - rightly so - absolutely horrified. We're pinning the blame on Alex chugging Oma's raspberry lemonade. Too much acid too quickly. Regardless the cause, I'm really hoping that Alex is done testing the depth of Oma's affection.

Keep in mind that Alex is but one of three participants in the bodily fluid Olympics going on around here. We skipped the lighting of the torch and opening ceremony pageantry, but the games are still going on strong. I only bring this up because I keep thinking the following: To you folks out there who thought that my (former) job requirement of dissecting various types of rodents on occasion was completely disgusting, I shake my head in complete disbelief. I would GLADLY remove the spinal cords of another couple thousand fetal mice than continue this festival of magic that is ongoing at our house.

Luckily everyone is still mostly smiley.

3 comments:

Mo said...

Oh Kat! I feel your pain! May the fluids cease and the experiment find a successful conclusion.....before you run screaming from the building!

The Goat Herders said...

We recommend rainbow goldfish. They make the whole event more colorful! We hope everyone gets back to normal soon and that you don't come down with it!
P.S. Good luck on the RV hunting!

Tom said...

Hope Alex is feeling better and you get to take him home soon (today?). I'm thinking of you guys from way the heck over here.