Saturday, July 18, 2009

books

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book is delightful. The characters are charming. I've been on a bit of a WWII slant lately, and this book is a lighter account of life under German occupation, without being fluffy in the slightest. Details of life on Guernsey - one of the Channel Islands - during the war are revealed through letters primarily between the protagonist, Juliet (an author) and various inhabitants of the island.



Like 'The Book Thief,' this is also a work about the power of words and books. I am inspired to hit some of the classics again, and perhaps even some Wordsworth - and I am rarely into poetry. THAT is an accomplishment in itself!



My only complaint is that the book ended far too quickly. I wanted to keep hearing more and more about each of the main characters.


View all my reviews >>

No comments: