Sunday, April 5, 2009

the devil

Today I revisited my old foe, the white chocolate truffle. I need a challenge since potty training Katie is such a total cake walk.

For a couple of years I have been trying to replicate these bad boys. The sweet/tart center surrounded by dark chocolate - ahhh, heaven! I've also tried a strawberry center a few times. Good flavor, but the centers did not ever set up. I thought I finally had these bad boys beat. 1 lb white chocolate - 3/4 cup cream - essential oils to add flavor without adding liquid - the tempering machine to keep the chocolate at the perfect temperature. How could these go wrong? THE CENTERS WILL NOT SET UP! I am pinning the blame on the chocolate. Peters, you have failed me. Your milk chocolate is too light, and your white chocolate is ridiculous. Maybe I'll have to try adding butter to make the ganache set up.

I tried to save the key lime centers by adding more white chocolate and using the candy molds. I also put some on some popcorn. That experiment is, to quote Roger, 'adventurous.' I can't say I'll be trying that one again. If you're feeling adventurous, come on over for some 'Easter popcorn.'

Maybe my subconscious has a solution lurking about in there.

No comments: